Name Change


  • In India, there are numerous reasons for a person to change his/her name. It could be due to marriage, for good luck, or for a new identity. The process of changing one's name is time-consuming with a lot of administrative formalities. At Legal Air, we will take care of all the documentation and filings, making your experience a breeze.
  • Steps involved in changing your name

  • A checklist of documents will be provided to record your details
  • Once you share the filled questionnaire, we will draft and share the 1) Affidavit 2) Proforma and 3) Application for publication in an official gazette
  • You will have to sign the documents and courier the physical copies to us along with notarised affidavit
  • We will place an advertisement of name change in a national newspaper
  • After publication of the advertisement, we will submit the application and documents for publication of name change in the official gazette, addressed to the Department of Publication, New Delhi.
  • Publication of your name change will be made in an official gazette within 30 days from the date of application
  • Upon publication, we will send you a copy of the official gazette through courier
  • Procedure

  • Name Change Procedure in India
  • The name change procedure involves the following steps: Affidavit submission, an announcement published in the newspaper and a notification published in the Gazette of India. While following these steps, the applicant will require certain documents attested the Judicial Magistrate/Notary
  • Step 1: To Create The Name Change Affidavit
  • Make an affidavit with the help of a lawyer. This affidavit should include details such as your old name, proposed new name,the reason for the name change (marriage, legal, numerology, etc) and address. Print the affidavit on a stamp paper and get it duly signed two witnesses. Visit a notary to notarize the affidavit
  • Step 2: To Place an Advertisement
  • Publish an advertisement about the name change in a local and a national newspaper. A sample of the advertisement is attached in the files section
  • Step 3: Submit the application and documents for publication of name change in Official Gazette to Department of Publication. Publication of your name change will be made in the Official Gazette within 7 days from the application. We will track the publication on a daily basis. Upon publication, we will send you a copy of the Official Gazette through courier. The procedure to change your name seems easy but the details and intricacies can be tricky as it requires one to understand the legal procedure, as well as pay multiple visits to various government offices. If you want to change your name seamlessly, you can contact Legal Air. We will provide you with all the necessary help and assistance and make the process hassle free for you
  • Required Documents

  • Advertisement in the newspaper (original and photocopy of advertisement appearing in the newspaper)
  • Affidavit for Name Change
  • Prescribed proforma for change of name. The proforma should be signed two witnesses and the following witness details are required: Full Name Address Mobile/ Phone No.
  • A Compact Disc (CD) that contains soft copy of the Proforma without witness details. In place of the signature, applicant’s old name is to be stated
  • A certificate stating that details of the CD and Hard copy are similar
  • Two self-attested passport size photos
  • Photocopy of identity proof of the Applicant (photocopy of any one of the following documents will suffice: Aadhar card, passport, voter ID card, PAN card, driving license)
  • Cover Letter
  • Demand Draft for payment of fees
  • Legal Air Assurance

  • 100% Refund Policy ‘No questions asked’
  • Dedicated Case Manager
  • Timely Delivery of Case
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    IYes, the process for changing an infant's name is same as that of an adult. However, the payable fees for changing a minor's name is Rs. 1700/- whereas for a major, the payable fees is Rs. 1100/-.

    After changing your name, you will have to update your name in government documents as well personal documents. Typically, the following seven (7) documents are required to be updated post name change: Passport PAN Card Driving License Aadhar Card Bank Accounts Ration Card Voter ID Card

    There are variety of reasons for which people may choose to change their name. The top seven (7) reasons why people change their name are as follows: Marriage Divorce Numerology Astrology Political reasons Religious reasons Dislike their current name/ birth nam

    Once you send in the documents, the entire process including publication of name change in the Official Gazette can be completed within 10 days.

    YAfter changing your name, you will have to update your name in the government documents as well (e.g.-Passport, PAN Card, Driving License, and Ration Card). Copies of the affidavit, Newspaper publication and the Gazette notification are enough to get these documents changed. For changes in Passport, you need to fill the following form: For changes in the PAN card, you need to fill the following form: For changes in the Bank Accounts: Copy of the affidavit and the gazette notification is needed

    Y Yes, it is a very important step. An affidavit states your intention to change your name and reasons for it. Without an affidavit, we cannot make newspaper publication and application for publication in Official Gazette. Hence, without Affidavit, your name cannot be changed.

    Yes, the proforma for name change has to be signed by two (2) witnesses. One identity document of each witness is also required.

    The advertisement of changing your name will be published in the leading national daily newspaper of your state.